The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Monday, June 19, 2006

unmatched cuff

Aija pointed out that one of my haiku was featured on the Beer Haiku Daily website on Saturday. And then hers was featured on Sunday! You step away from the computer for the weekend, and all kind of cool stuff happens.

We watched a good amount of soccer this weekend. Fun games with some very bad officiating, and lots of knitting time. And, it must be said, bead stringing time. With soccer calling us all day on Saturday, I was unable to resist the pull and made this:


The pattern calls for US 0s, I used US 00s, just because I had them and I could. The cuff is a little big for my taste (not for my wrist- it fits just fine), but luckily, my MIL saw me making it and loves it, so I gave it to her.


I think the next one I make, I'll use smaller squares (3 beads across instead of 4) and eliminate the red beads. They bug me. They're too warm for the rest of the colors, and they pop out too much. Obviously, they didn't bug me enough to pull them out and start over, but they definitely change my plans for cuff number two.

I've also been processing my spindled single (attempt #2) with the notion of maybe knitting something from it. I think I have enough for a little hat, possibly just big enough to fit on the head of the Future Progeny, when he gets here. I've documented my (highly scientific) process, and thinking maybe I need a niddy noddy, because the book I wound my yarn around didn't quite cut it. The Trekalong socks are also proceeding apace. I just need to get out and, you know, trek somewhere with them. I'm pretty sure the parameters were "get out and hike with your socks," not "sit on your ass and knit."

5 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

Screw their parameters! What sort of knitter would ask you to do anything BUT sit on your ass and knit??

I D-I-G dig that cuff. I agree totally, though - even before reading that far, I thought "I would kill one square off the pattern", which would basically acheive the same thing as making smaller squares.

You know what I think when I see this, though? Light Brite. Totally rocks my day.

11:25 AM  
Blogger rene said...

Hee! Lite Brite! That's one exciting thing about reproducing- you get to play with stuff you haven't played with in years. Man, I hope they still make Lite Brite.

My backup plan for this cuff if my MIL hadn't claimed it was going to be slip it around a votive candle holder. So then it really would have looked like Lite Brite. :)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Sandra D. said...

My age and un-hipness is showing because I don't know what Lite Brite is. But the cuff is really pretty. I totally agree about the size and red beads, too. You'll have to post a comparison photo when #2 is done!

I could use more of the "hike with" rather than "sitting on" - today my jeans shorts were too tight. Provides me with incentive, though!

2:21 PM  
Blogger rene said...

Lite Brite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lite_Brite

I went to Hasbro's website, and it appears that they've fancied up my Lite Brite in between 1981 and now. I don't know how I feel about that. :)

Believe me, you will see pictures of cuff #2. I am unable to complete a project, no matter how small, and not put a picture up.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Lite Brite! I used to love the Lite Brite.

Cool cuff - but yeah, I think it would be a little wide for me. You are so speedy at making these!!

Damn, we have to take our socks somewhere?! Pooey.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home