The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Thursday, June 22, 2006

one more to go

Yesterday, I spent the wait at the doctor's office putting afterthought heels on my brother-in-law's socks. Here they are, pre-heel, looking a little snaky:



And here they are post heel, looking like actual socks. I used the Round Toe from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks (which is one of two first knitting books I ever bought, and remains to this day one of the ones I use the most.) I wanted to avoid the decrease line that regular toes (even when used as heels) have, but I thought a Star Toe might be a little girly for a guy with such huge honkin' feet.




The yarn to the right of the socks is all that remains of what was once a pretty darn big ball of Regia. It might look like there's a fair bit left, but it's actually cut into about 4 or 5 pieces, since I wanted these socks to match pretty closely. (Which they do. I'm very pleased.) As I was knitting the heels, I had a moment of thinking "I'm going to run out of yarn. Everything about these socks except the heels will match and it will torment me to the end of my days." Luckily for me, there was just enough. I like to live dangerously.


What this means is that I have only one more pair of socks to knit before the Great Sneaky Sock Project of 2006 will be complete. Whew! I could do a little dance, I'm so happy. This leaves me free to knit the Trekalong socks, at least until I somehow figure out my father-in-law's shoe size. (I really hope it's smaller than this brother-in-law's. These socks are huge.)

The doctor's appointment went well. Everything looks good, and next week, we're going in for a 4-D ultrasound. We're going to walk out of there with a picture of the Future Progeny's face. Technology is amazing.

7 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

Soon-to-be-baby face! How cool! My friend Gina got lucky - on her find-out-the-sex-of-the-baby ulrasound, the kid squared up and looked directly at the camera - she's adorable already, with her mouth open in a little "o" and her hands clapped over her ears, as if to express that she's tired and she just wants to REST, darnit, and would everyone please stop fussing!?

Those socks are pERfect - look at the stripes, matching all precisely...that always amazes me, because no matter how hard I try, I end up with socks that appear to have been knit by two different people from two different skeins on two separate continents.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Alyson said...

Word verifications aren't normally worth commenting on, but I just realized that my last word verification was "qcsok". Indeed, this is a Quality Control Sock!

11:06 AM  
Blogger aija said...

I love those socks, they match sooo well. I'd never had guessed those were afterthought heels, either they match so well.

4d ultrasound? Neat!!! How exciting for yall!

(My word verification suxx0rs...urcvnjlv) :)

11:30 AM  
Blogger rene said...

Thanks, y'all! I kind of sweated over the matching, as I think it will be likely to encourage this brother-in-law to actually wear them. I practically had a ruler out- quite the change from the Trekking socks I've been doing making lately. They're sisters, not twins.

I can't wait until next Thursday! We do have one pic of his face, with a huge bubble in front of it, but the ultrasound lady told us to wait until 28 weeks for a better pic. Apparently, they've started to put on some weight by then, and are less likely to freak out prospective parents by looking like aliens. :) Then the dr. yesterday told us to go on and get it done b/c soon he'll start to get squished up against the wall of the uterus- also weird looking, apparently.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Whew on the heels! That would drive me batty, too.

I saw one of those 4-D pictures of my niece before she was born and it was really cool - and really interesting to compare to what she looked like after birth. The fluid adds a bit of distortion to the picture!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Sandra D. said...

I love the "snake" photo! I guess if I were making socks for someone who needed encouragement to wear them, I MIGHT worry about matching. I don't bother for myself, though. I'm kind of a "Dobby" that way - the more different the two socks, the more I like it (only with self patterning yarn, you understand. I want my "plain" yarn socks to look alike). You did a super job of getting those things matched!

Very cool on the 4D. I didn't know such things were possible. But then, I've been so far from the childbearing scene for so long, that's not surprising.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Great socks! How's the spindling going? I'm taking a class next month, and am all excited and trying to prepare. :-)

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home