The Rocket

Knitting, pregnancy, and other stuff

Sunday, June 25, 2006

another quick cable fix

I was reading what the Yarn Harlot posted about fixing cables, and it occured to me that I know another way to fix a miscrossed cable. Basically, it is very similar to the Harlot's first method of cable repair, except rather than unknit the entire cable, you only unknit the solitary miscrossed strand, because if there's a lazier more efficient way to do something, I try to find it.

For the purposes of this demonstration, I have used a 6 stitch plait cable on pp 244-245 of Barbara Walker's first treasury, the variation. Let's say you've been knitting merrily along, and you just finished a wrong side row or non-crossing round when you notice a flaw in yout beautiful knitting. Behold, the miscrossed cable:


(It is at this early point in the photography progress that I begin to realize I should have used a color of yarn other than white, for ease of viewing purposes. Mea culpa, I'll know next time.)

OK, you work over to your miscrossed cable, and free the errant stitches from the needles altogether:

Then, you unravel your stitches down to the last cross. In this case, we know it was two rows ago. When you examine the fabric carefully, you will see a little hole caused by two sets of stitches crossing each other at a distance. Normally, this hole is covered by the stitches you just unraveled, but right at this moment, you have set it free. (You may be able to see it more easily from the back of your fabric.)


Now, you have two little stitches that you just unraveled waiting right next to the hole, so push them through the hole to the other side of the fabric, which is not so coincidentally the side of the fabric a correct cable cross would have been made on.


Rescue your little waiting stitches with a double pointed needle. I often use one a bit closer to the size of the working needles, but in this case, I forgot to bring one with me, so I salvaged a sock needle. It doesn't matter, as long as the needle you use is the same size as the working needle or smaller.



Then, all that remains is to knit those two stitches up using the loose yarn ladders that you unraveled way back up at the top of the post. Et voila! You have correctly crossed cables and can go merrily on your way. Have a celebratory drink as suggested over at the Yarn Harlot's, or in my case, a nice glass of soda water with lime.


5 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

Everybody knows stuff. Sigh.

I'm going to share my method of fixing the cable now.

Step One: Take note of the miscrossed cable.

Step Two: Sigh.

Step Three: Eat a couple of extra M&Ms (or sweet of choice), shrug, continue knitting, and miscross a cable at regular intervals. Term it a "design element".

11:00 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Excellent example, Rene! Thanks for the careful explanation. I'm still living in fear of needing to know how to do this :-)

11:34 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Wow, cool. I so am not knitta enough for this stuff yet :)

(LOL at alyson's method-- totally the one I use!)

12:55 PM  
Blogger Sandra D. said...

Ah genius, pure genius. I'm taking notes of all the "fixes" because I'm going to try an Aran sometime soon. It's bound to happen and at least I'll know several ways to get out of my fix! Thanks.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Great tutorial! Heh, white is better than black would be. :D

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home